Melbourne Grammar School (MGS) was founded in 1858 and is well known for its bluestone buildings and landscaped grounds, many of which are listed on the Heritage Victoria Register. The Memorial Hall at MGS, originally opened in 1928 and was extensively refurbished and extended in 2005 to provide facilities for Music and the Performing Arts, as well as general School use.
The redevelopment required working within a complex list of critical constraints, including heritage. Irwinconsult utilised a variety of specialist engineering skills to create a modern performing arts complex that incorporated specific acoustic requirements for the new music studio with it’s eight-metre ceiling, proximity to an existing substation and protection of existing structures.
2006 RAIA Architecture Award (National) – Lachlan Macquarie Award for Heritage
2006 RAIA Architecture Award (Victoria) – Institutional Alterations and Extension
More Award Winning Projects:
More Education - Schools Projects: