The Challenge/ To create a demonstration project that incorporates exposed structure as 'built pedagogy' to enhance the education experience.
Our Solution/ Irwinconsult designed the structure to incorporate:
• Exposed concrete frame throughout
• 18.5m spanning floors to the Main Hall
• 12m cantilever to staff offices
• 20.5m spanning unique structural timber roof
• 3 storey studio, hanging from the feature roof
• Unique exposed steel Y-shaped staircases
The project has recently been completed and handed over to Melbourne University. Despite the remarkable degree of complexity, the project was delivered by Multiplex several months ahead of program, and awaits the new student intake in 2015. Read the Melbourne School of Design New Building blog here .
The Faculty of Architecture, Building & Planning represents the last major development site within the historic core of the Melbourne Uni campus. Structural and civil engineering design.
More Award Winning Projects:
More Education - Tertiary Projects: